Parish History

The Roman Catholic Parish of

Our Lady the Immaculate Conception,

Devizes, Wiltshire

The Roman Catholic Parish of

Our Lady the Immaculate Conception,

Devizes, Wiltshire

Parish History

sanctuary new joseph3 Parish Website

1901

The Infant department of St Joseph’s School moved into a new room.

 

1902

Miss Ann Dalton Scott moved to Devizes and was appointed organist and choirmistress.

 

1904

Establishment of St Joseph’s Infant School as a separate entity under the headship of Miss Kate Daley.

 

1906

Sr Dominic appointed headmistress of St Joseph’s Junior and Senior School.

 

1907

June 9th - Death of Fr Bouvard at Yeovil.

Fr Louis Valluet appointed Parish Priest.

Sr Evodia appointed as teacher at St Joseph’s Junior School.

 

1909

January - Foundation stone for new sanctuary and sacristy at church of The Immaculate Conception laid.

July 26th - New sanctuary opened and church bell dedicated.

 

1911

Baptismal font in memory of Mother Bridget installed.

Chapel of Ss George and Patrick built at Ogbourne Maizey

December 23rd - Fr Louis said the first Mass in Ogbourne.

 

1912

Sister Dominic appointed Reverend Mother.

 

1914

January 29th - Altar rails installed at church of The Immaculate Conception.

 

1915

Foundations of new altar at the church of The Immaculate Conception laid.

 

1916

Relics of St Andrew the Apostle and Ss Gervase and Protase installed in altar at the church of The Immaculate Conception.

 

1928

June 20th - Bazaar in Corn Exchange to raise money for a new school.  The bazaar was opened by Cardinal Bourne.

 

1929

October 9th - Foundation stone of the new school, laid by Right Reverend Monsignor William Provost Lee, Vicar General of Clifton.

Fr Louis acquired his first car, which he named Margaret Mary.

 

1930

New school opened and the Senior and Junior departments moved in.

 

1932

Mass centre opened in the home of Mr and Mrs Joseph Sainsbury.

 

1934

Sr Gertrude appointed Headmistress of St Joseph’s Infant School.

October 28th - Bishop Lee visited Devizes and conferred Minor Orders on Brothers Baker, Cross and Daley.

 

1936

Chapel opened in the grounds of West Stowell House, the home of Sir Eric and Lady Phipps.

 

1942

December 1st - Fr Louis appointed as RC Chaplain to the Wilts County Mental Asylum (later Roundway Hospital).

 

1943

February 17th - 3rd Devizes Scout Group established.

Sr Mary Thomas appointed headmistress of St Joseph’s Junior and Senior School.

The nuns moved from Wyndhams to the convent at the end of St Joseph’s Walk and St Joseph’s Convent School expanded into the whole building.

 

1947

February 20th - Death of Fr Louis Valluet.

Fr Alexander Daley appointed as Parish Priest.

 

1949

Fr Arthur Williams appointed Curate.

 

1952

Miss Scott awarded the Benemerenti medal.

 

1956

Fr Nobes appointed Parish Priest.  Fr Daley moved to Tavistock.

June - Death of Miss Scott.

 

1957

Fr Sean Fleury appointed curate.

 

1959

Foundation stone of Church of St Francis de Sales, Brickley Lane, laid.

 

1960

May - Church of St Francis de Sales opened.

 

1961

July - Sr Gertrude retired as headmistress of St Jospeh's Infant School.

September - Miss Patricia Kennedy appointed headmistress of St Joseph’s Infant School.

October - Parish Centenary celebrations and launch of the Cathos campaign - a planned giving scheme.

 

1963

Fr Sean Fleury left.

February - Christopher Henley became Parish MC by default: at the age of fourteen he was the oldest altar server.

 

1964

Fr Kevin O’Neill appointed Parish Priest.

Church of The Holy Family opened in Pewsey.  Chapel at West Stowell closed.

 

1967

September - Mr Raymond Chowney returned to altar serving after a gap of many years.

 

1969

July - St Joseph’s Convent School closed.

August 24th - Parish sponsored walk.

 

1970

October 4th - Metric Meander: parish sponsored walk.

 

1970/71

Chapel of Ss George and Patrick at Ogbourne Maisey demolished.

 

1973

Fr Basil Harrison appointed Parish Priest.

 

1974

September - St Joseph’s Junior School and St Joseph’s Infant School amalgamated to form St Joseph’s Primary School.  Mr Anthony Lines appointed as headteacher and Miss Patricia Kennedy as deputy headteacher.

 

1976

June 16th - Ordination of Fr Martin Griffin in Devizes by Bishop Mervyn Alexander.

 

1977

April - St Joseph’s Playgroup opens in a spare classroom of the Infant Department of St Joseph’s School.

May 26th - Death of Fr Thomas Nobes.

 

1978

Fr Terence McGrath appointed Parish Priest.

June - Re-establishment of 3rd Devizes Scout Troop, under the leadership of Mr Christopher Henley.

 

1979

September 29th - Solemn Consecration of the Church of The Immaculate Conception by The Bishop of Clifton, The Right Reverend Mervyn Alexander.

 

1980

October 30th - Death of Fr Anthony McCabe.

 

1982

April - Mr Barry Hickey appointed headmaster of St Joseph’s Primary School.

 

1983

Fr Sean Fleury appointed Parish Priest for the first time.

 

1985

Fr Heubert Miranda appointed Parish Priest.

June 16th - Fr Alexander Daley celebrated his Golden Jubilee.

 

1986

Fr Gerard Gill appointed Parish Priest.

June 6th - Fr Arthur Williams celebrated his Golden Jubilee.

September 1st - Death of Fr Kevin O’Neill.

 

1988

Fr Sean Fleury appointed Parish Priest for the second time.

December 8th - Ordination of Deacon David Wakefield in Devizes by Bishop Mervyn Alexander

 

1989

Fr Bernard Caszo appointed Parish Priest.

 

1990

March 7th - Death of Fr Arthur Williams.

August - Miss Patricia Kennedy retired as Cub Scout Leader.  Mrs Julie Midcalf appointed as Cub Scout Leader.

 

1993

February 3rd - Devizes Scout Group celebrated its 50th anniversary with a party for present and past members and their families.

 

1995

Narthex built at church of The Immaculate Conception.

June 16th - Fr Alexander Daley celebrated his Diamond Jubilee.

 

1998

Restoration of the church of The Immaculate Conception.

 

1999

October - Fr Bosco Lobo appointed curate.

Parish Timeline - 20th Century

Parish Timeline - 20th Century

Back to Timeline page