CATHOLIC WOMEN'S LEAGUE
The Devizes branch of the CWL met regularly in a wooden hut in the church garden during the 1950s and 1960s. The hut stood on part of what is now the parish cemetery and, after years of being left empty, was then used by 3rd Devizes Scout Troop in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
The adjacent photograph was taken in 1955. The parish priest, Fr Daley, is on the right.
There have been several youth clubs over the years. Each one was launched by one of the curates and flourished in St Joseph's School hall for a while.
In the 1920s and in 1956 the youth club had its own football team.
Other parish groups will be added. Please visit again.
KNIGHTS OF ST COLUMBA
The Devizes branch of the KSC flourished for many years.
Among the things that they did was to construct and erect the wooden cross on the outside wall of the parish church. In the 1950s, fourteen parishes from around the diocese were selected to each have a large, numbered, wooden cross. Devizes was one of the chosen parishes and was allocated the number thirteen. Members of the Knights of St Columba constructed the cross and affixed it to the end wall of the church, where it still stands.
Each year the cross was removed from the wall, dismantled and taken on the annual Glastonbury Pilgrimage. There, together with the other thirteen crosses, it was reassembled and used as one of the Stations of the Cross at the start of the pilgrimage. The crosses were then carried in procession through the streets of Glastonbury to the Convent field where Mass was said at a temporary, roofed altar, erected for the purpose. In later years a permanent roofed altar was built. The land was subsequently sold and Morrisons supermarket now stands there.
First photograph l-r: Alfred Weston, Fr Arthur Williams, Raymond Henley, Alfred Truckle, Eric Palmer, Eric Wheeler, William Dyke.
The knights also owned a Christmas crib set which they displayed each December in a shop window in the town. In the 1980s the crib set was donated to 3rd Devizes Scout Group which continued to display the crib in town each December for many years.