Parish History

The Roman Catholic Parish of

Our Lady the Immaculate Conception,

Devizes, Wiltshire

The Roman Catholic Parish of

Our Lady the Immaculate Conception,

Devizes, Wiltshire

Parish History

sanctuary new joseph3 Parish Website

Parish events

Parish events

GRAND BAZAAR

   

In 1928, a Grand Bazaar was held in Devizes Corn Exchange. His Eminence Cardinal Bourne was invited from London to open the event and The Great Western Railway laid on special trains to bring people into the town.

 

The event was a great success and the profits were augmented by Cardinal Bourne's returning of the £5 given to him to cover his expenses.

bazaar poster

ALTAR SERVERS' SUMMER CAMP

   

In the late 1940s the Diocese of Clifton organised summer camps for the altar servers of various parishes. The camps were held near Porlock in Somerset and Devizes took part under the leadership of Fr Bowker, assisted by Colonel Lucarotti. The camp cooks were Margaret and Pat Kennedy.

Tablet

Extract from The Tablet, June 30 1928

PARISH CENTENARY

   

In 1961 the parish celebrated its centenary. Part of the celebrations was a dinner at the Castle Hotel, attended by many of the parishioners.

 

The guests of honour were the Bishop of Clifton, The Right Reverend Joseph Rudderham - standing third from left; and The Mayor and Mayoress of Devizes, Councillor and Mrs Brian Tilley - standing second from left and first on left.

SPONSORED WALKS

   

In 1969 and 1970 the parish organised two sponsored walks to raise funds for the parish. The 1969 walk was on Sunday August 24th and the 1970 one - called the Metric Meander - was on Sunday October 4th. Both walks began and ended at St Joseph's Walk.

 

As the walkers returned from the 1970 walk they were each presented with a certificate and were then treated to a meal of sausages, mashed potato and baked beans, prepared and served by Mr & Mrs Louis Myers and their daughter.

SUMMER FETES

   

During the 1950s and 1960s the parish held an annual summer fete to raise funds. These were held in the grounds of the Convent School and St Joseph's School.

Photographs: Wiltshire Gazette & Herald

Photograph: Wiltshire Newspapers Ltd

Photographs: Wiltshire Gazette & Herald