From that initial meeting were formed: 3rd Devizes Scout Group, still part of the parish; 3rd Devizes Guide Company; and 3rd Devizes Brownie Pack.
The Scout Troop was led by Mr James Healey and the Cub Pack by Miss Elsie Friend. Miss Friend was soon succeeded by Miss Pat Kennedy, who ran the Pack until her retirement in 1990.
Within about a year the Scout Troop had ceased to function and for many years Cubs who wished to continue their Scouting had to transfer to one of the other Scout Groups in the town - 1st Devizes or 2nd Devizes.
In 1978 the Scout Troop as reformed under the Leadership of Mr Chris Henley, assisted by his brother, Michael. Within a year the Troop had twenty-four Scouts in four patrols and was meeting in a wooden hut behind the church that measured just twenty feet by twelve.
By 2000, the Scout Troop had dwindled to so few that it was suspended, although the Cub Pack thrived. Fortunately within a few years the Troop had reformed again. Later a Beaver Colony was formed and all three sections continue to meet weekly, unfortunately no longer in St Joseph's School, but at Southbroom Junior School.
Photographs: Chris Henley, unless otherwise credited
In 1943, one of the priests in Devizes, Father Cecil Cutlack, wanted to arrange some activities for the young people of the parish.
He thought that starting a Guide Company and Scout Group would be a good way forward and invited the young people of the parish to St Joseph's School hall on Wednesday February 17th.
It was a dark evening and many youngsters turned up. All boys of Scout age were sent into one corner, all boys of Cub age to another, all girls of Guide age to the third and all girls of Brownie age to the fourth. Those children who were not in any of these age groups stayed in the middle of the hall.