The Parish of Our Lady the Immaculate Conception,
is in the centre of the county of Wiltshire.
It serves the market town of Devizes
and the surrounding villages.
In days gone by the parish included the towns of Marlborough and Pewsey and the priests used to travel as far as Ogbourne St Andrew, a distance of some sixteen miles from Devizes, to celebrate Sunday Mass in the chapel there. Several parish members were baptised in the chapel.
In 1937 the parish of Marlborough was formed but Devizes retained responsibility for Pewsey, even building a new church there, dedicated to The Holy Family, in the 1960s. In the 1970s The Holy Family Church in Pewsey was transferred to the Marlborough parish.
Today the Devizes parish consists of the parish church, Our Lady the Immaculate Conception, in Devizes; St Joseph's Church at Littleton Pannell, a few miles outside Devizes; St Joseph's Primary School; St Joseph's Convent; and 3rd Devizes Scout Group. The parish also serves Her Majesty's Prison Erlestoke, a few miles outside Devizes, where Mass is said each week.
The photographs displayed on this website belong to a large number of people, most of them unknown.
Where owners are known, a credit has been given.
Where copyrights have been infringed, we apologise.
Please contact the Parish Archivist, details at the bottom of the page, to include a credit.
This website was originally written to display the collection of archive photographs owned by the parish
and to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the founding of the parish in 1861.
The research done by the late Pat Kennedy when preparing to write her history of the parish, Sursum Corda, is gratefully acknowledged.
Some of the text on this website is adapted from Miss Kennedy's book.